Greek Italian Dutch German Swedish Russian
Lefkada
Links Sitemap Contact Us

Web Cam Lefkada - Central Square

Maps of Lefkada
Speech and Art Feasts in Lefkada International Folklor Festival
Events
Museums & Galleries in Lefkada
The Web Site is hosted to SYZEFXIS

Churches

MANICIPALITY OF LEFKADA

The church tower
of Aghias Mavras
(in the castle of Aghias Mavras)

The church of Aghias Mavras is located at the homonym castle which has been restored and preserved perfectly.

Pantokratoras in the town
of Lefkada

The church of Pantokratoras is one more private church which belongs to Valaoriti’s Family with unique value located to the center of the market in the town of Lefkada.

Its hagiographies are the masterpieces of very well known Heptanisian hagiographers. The tomb of the national poet Aristotelis Valaoritis is located at the back of the sanctum.  

The church of Agios Spiridonas was built at the end of the 17th century, in the main square of the town. It is Vasiliki single shaped oblong, low ceilinged, without a dome, with sided entrances, clearly influenced from Venetian architecture.The iconstasis was made by a Zakinthian wood cutter, J.Groppa and the icons by the Cretan (Venetian descent) Tomazo Gen.

The famous iconostasis
of Aghios Minas

The church of Aghios Minas - which is close to the church of Pantokratoras - is distinguished for the fine wooden cut iconostasis and the icons of the great Heptanisian hagiographers, Kontarinis, Roussos, Doxaras, Koutouzis, Ventouras etc.

The church had been founded - in a Baroque order - in 1707 with the permission of Venetians. It has been restored, after serious damages occurred in 1724.

The church of Kimisis Yperagias Theotokou in Gira (The Assumption of the Virgin), is located at the narrow lane of land which is close to the northwest side of Lefkada’s lagoon.

Its single spaced with a large semi circular arch. The first temple belonged to ancestors of Aggelos Sikelianos, existed before 1684 and considered as one of eldest of the island. It was built around 1460-1503 from the brothers -priests, Stamatios and Athanasios Soundias, damaged by earthquakes and later on came to the property of Lefkada’s Orphanage and hospital’s.

The wooden iconostasis is simple and fine. The icon of Panagia Hodeghetria, which is dedicated to, is the work of Tomazo Tzen, with an obvious influence from Byzantine’s tradition. Today, is the chapel of the town’s church Aghios Nikolaos 

Aghios Ioannis in Alatro

The church of Aghios Nikolaos is located at the center of the town. It was built in 1687, with the permission of Venetians, damaged from the earthquakes of 18th and 19th century and restored in 1830.

It had been the wealthier church of the town. It has spectacular entrances with windows of a unique art, in a baroque order. Its iconostasis is really imposing and its icons are the work of Ioannis Roussos and Spiridonas Ventouras. The chapels of Aghios Nikolaos are Aghios Ioannis of Antzousi and Panagia of Gira.

  
The church tower of
Panagia Isodion
(The presentation of Virgin Mary).

Other important churches in town are the Church of Presentation of Virgin Mary, at the main market, Aghii Anargyroi and Panagia of Xenon (foreigners) in the area of Marka. 

Panagia of Vlachernon

Panagia of Vlachernon, inside the oil grove. An historic church, built in 1740. To the outside part of the wall, there is a walled plate mentioning that on Sunday of the Carnival of 1821, 12 chieftains and notable people of Lefkada and Roumeli, were gathered and took an oath to fight for the liberation of their country. 

The small church of Aghios Ioannis of Antzousi is located, almost inside a rock at the edge of Gira’s beach, at the spot where the coast becomes higher. According to tradition, there had been the shrine, where Apostle Pavlos, in his road to Rome, prayed. It is one of the eldest churches of the island, restored and extended from the Franks knights (Anjou), who discovered it, in 1331. 

MANICIPALITY OF SFAKIOTES

 
 

The chapel of Pantokratoras, important Christian monument, located 1 km northeast of Kavalos village, with its bell hanging on a huge oak in the front of the church’s yard. At the door, there are windows from ancient Greek temples.

Many traditional church towers decorate the churches of Sfakiotes. Some of the most beautiful are: Aghios Dionissios and Aghios Spiridonas in Lazarata, which were built 150 years ago. 

The church tower
of Aghios Spiridonas
in Lazarata

The church of Aghios Spiridonas in Lazarata, was first built around 18th century. Its iconstasis is in baroque order in white and gold color with thin pillars of Corinthian order.

The icon of Archangel Michael, at the offertory’s door, belongs to the famous hagiographer V.Sideris dated in 1894. The church tower is high and impressive, built probably with soft stone in 3 floors.

The church of Aghios Nikolaos in Kavalos, is one of the oldest of the area. It was first built in 17th century. Its icons are works of Spiros Gazis created in the period of 1876 until 1883. Its iconostasis, of a baroque order, is one of the most beautiful of Lefkada, work of P.Prosalentis. 

The church of Taxiarches in Spanochori, built during the 18th century. Its magnificent hagiographies are the work of Spiros Gazis, dated in 1886.

The church of Panagias Episkopis in Spanochori is dedicated to the Genesis of Virgin Mary. Its iconstasis is a work of Panos Prosalentis, made in 1858, in white and simple classic line.

The church of Aghios Stefanos in Exanthia is old and damaged by the time, which has been restored. It iconostasis was made in 1850. 

MANICIPALITY OF KARYA

Aghios Spiridonas

Aghios Spiridonas, one of the most interesting churches in Karya. It is located at the center of the village and was built at the end of 19th century. It has a nice, high church tower with a clock. Its classical iconostasis is a work of Ioannis Vrettos, made in 1925. 

Aghios Donatos to the tableland
of Egklouvis

Aghia Paraskevi is, among others, a very important church of Karya. It is a well preserved church since the beginning of 19th century. Its magnificent woodcut iconostasis, a fine work of P.Prosalentis in a simple baroque order, was created in 1850. The icon of Aghias Paraskevis was made from G.Patsaras composing a beautiful set. There are 2 oil paintings of Spiridona Gazis in the church, representing themes from the Old Testament: “The sacrifice of Avraam” and “Job”.

The church of Aghios Donatos, up to the village of Egklouvis, in an altitude of 900 meters, was first dedicated to Agios Dometios. The locals, influenced from the homonym place after its renovation, dedicated it in the memory of Agios Donatos, who was the Bishop of Lefkada in 284 a.c. It is said that he fell off a high tower during the Christian’s persecutions. The ruins of this tower are preserved near the church, which celebrates on the 7th of August 

ΔΗΜΟΣ ΕΛΛΟΜΕΝΟΥ

Aghia Kiriaki opposite
of Nydri 

The church of Aghias Kiriakis is in the bay of Vlichos, opposite Nydri. You can visit the church by small rented boats.

The church of Aghios Ioannis Prodromos is outside the village of Alatro. It is a small temple with a wooden saddled tilled roof. The whole temple is full of wall paintings created at the beginning of 17th century. Today, most of them have faded and need special care since they are the faintest set of post Byzantine wall paintings of Lefkada.

The “Last Supper” on the north side, “Aghios Ioannis Prodromos” as an infant who is carried to Zacharias, Aghii “Kosmas, Damianos, Panteleimon and Minas” with different colorful cloths, excite the emotions of the visitor. 
 

The Church of Aghios Charalampos in the village of Vlicho ,with hagiographies of 16th century.

Panagia Evangelistria in the entrance of Neochori’s village is the only church with a dome, in the whole island. Also, in Neochori you can find the church of Aghios Dimitrios with wall paintings of the 16th century.